Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Location: London London, UK
Our client, a leading commercial gallery in London is looking for a Creative Director to lead its exhibitions team.
The Exhibitions department, led by the Creative Director, is central to the strategic development and promotion of a coherent and ambitious programme across locations and in line with commercial objectives.
The Creative Director acts as a tastemaker in the market and is constantly looking outwards to maintain an understanding of how the gallery is positioned and what key changes are taking place.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in cultivating and developing artist careers and devising strategies for their long-term growth. They will be confident placing work in both public and private collections and constantly nurture a broad and global network of collectors, peers and institutional personnel.
The Creative Director is a key part of the senior management team and will be expected to support and help deliver the business plan, setting department objectives and collaborating across functions. They will work closely with the communications team to support gallery and artist brand building and act as a leading spokesperson.
- 5+years experience working with high profile artists and developing commercially astute artist strategies
- A thorough overview of global art market trends
- An established and developing network in all relevant markets
- Strong commercial awareness and demonstrable sales experience
- Excellent leadership and management skills, an ability to act decisively and with clarity
- Experience of working effectively in a founder/owner environment
- Excellent language skills
- Published/critical writing a bonus
- This role reports directly to the Founder
- The gallery offers competitive healthcare and pension schemes
- A performance review will take place after three months and annually thereafter
- Developing and implementing a forward facing, cohesive artistic programme that challenges and complements the vision of the Founder and is in line with the gallery’s business plan
- Curating gallery exhibitions and projects in permanent and short term locations to an exemplary standard
- Acting as primary liaison to designated gallery artists, developing strategies to strengthen their global profile and loyalty
- Consolidating these relationships, encouraging access to exceptional stock
- Identifying and pursuing new artists for the gallery roster
- Developing clientele, increasing revenue through careful placement of primary work
- Forging alliances with art fair committee members, identifying collaborative opportunities with industry peers
- Spearheading museum placements and acquisition funding opportunities
- Supporting Marketing in the development of the gallery brand and development of new audiences
- Representing the gallery at artists’ exhibitions, openings and art fairs around the world, transmitting the gallery strategy and focus
- Identifying additional strategic travel opportunities
- Outlining and overseeing exhibitions and annual budgets
- Managing gallery publications programme
- Writing appropriate texts, managing necessary research projects
- Giving talks, lectures, hosting relevant gallery events
- Any other relevant duties