Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Location: London, UK
An opportunity has arisen for an Accountant to join a well respected contemporary gallery, in their London space.
The Accountant is responsible for working with the sales staff of the London Gallery and the accounting team in New York to accurately and timely record all the gallery’s sales, inventory and payables transaction entries. They will produce all sales invoices and initiate all payments, compile schedules for and record monthly journal entries, coordinate payroll with outside provider, prepare and file VAT and prepare monthly financial reports and analysis. They will be required to maintain well-documented accounting records and help create processes to enhance internal controls. The role works closely with Auditors and the NY and Asian accounting teams.
Primary Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Issue sales invoices for artwork and re-bills and accurately reflect such with entries in sub-ledgers.
- Full Cycle Accounts Payable – Audit for appropriate approvals; determine GL coding; enter. payables invoices; and process weekly payment runs.
- Investigate and resolve any issues with art purchases, artist reimbursable costs and production costs.
- Enter all cash deposits and issue daily reports of customer receipts for executive and sales staff.
- Perform timely, accurate monthly closings of sales, payables, inventory and support with detailed reconciliations and schedules.
- Prepare daily and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Process monthly corporate credit card transactions – coordinate with users and enter into accounting systems and records.
- Produce monthly reporting and analysis for financial closings, management reporting and artist accountings.
- Maintain and report on retail and import VAT for monthly reconciliations and quarterly returns and income taxes.
- Coordinate monthly payroll processing with third party service.
- Actively participate and coordinate annual and quarterly audits.
- Ad hoc projects and reporting.
- Partner with Gallery management and operations, as needed.
- Degree in Accounting.
- Considerable accounting experience in a gallery, auction house or similar industry.
- Experience with multi-currency transactions.
- Disciplined and independent work ethic.
- High level of integrity and confidentiality as will be handling sensitive information.
- Excellent computer skills including ERP software package (Microsoft Dynamics GP), Advanced Excel skills, Word, and Outlook.
- Attention to detail and accuracy with the ability to demonstrate proactive work style.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Personable with the ability to simultaneously manage & timely complete a variety of tasks and roles.