Our client, an established Artist Studio, is seeking an experienced art handler for the role of Art Preparator Lead. The role involves assisting with the preparation of raw art-making materials, handling and moving in-process and completed works of art, as well as the organization and upkeep of the studio space.
The position requires background experience working in an art studio, gallery, museum, or art transportation company. Advanced knowledge of art crating, transportation logistics, fine art storage, and associated best practices is essential.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record of handling high-value works of art in all stages of the art-making process. The Art Preparator Lead will be responsible for soft- wrapping art, fabricating slipcases and shadow boxes, preparing and stretching canvas, and packing crates and t-frames. Working knowledge of t-frame Oz-clips and inner-crate bracing systems, in addition to experience handling framed and unframed works on paper is required. Lifting and carrying heavy items (up to 50 lbs.) is expected, as is the use of ladders, dollies, and other various tools, and the ability to patch and paint walls.
This is a full-time plus position that requires an individual that is ready to bring an artist’s vision to life through problem solving, innovation, and maintaining standards of excellence.
- Pack and unpack artwork for storage as well as local and international transports.
- Handle and move artwork in all phases of the art-making process within and between studio spaces.
- Precisely cut paper substrates to specific measurements.
- Assist with organizing art storage areas, tools, and workstations.
- Maintain materials and monitor supply levels.
- Gesso, prepare, and stretch canvas.
Key skills & experience:
- Several years of experience working with an art studio, gallery, museum, or art handling company.
- Knowledge of conservation-friendly materials and appropriate usage.
- Experience and proven ability to assist with fine art installation activities.
- Working knowledge of canvas stretching and finishing.
- Ability to work independently and proactively based on written and verbal instructions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry best practices.