An established contemporary gallery in London is looking for an experienced Artist Liaison to join their busy team.
The Senior Artist Liaison is responsible for being the primary link between the gallery and the artists.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Working with Founding director on researching and signing up new artists to the gallery programme
- Project managing exhibitions in every detail, collaborating with artists on the conception, organisation and installation of exhibitions at the Taking the exhibition from initiation to completion, liaising with the gallery’s technical team/marketing and PR/sales team and overseeing or taking direct responsibility, if necessary, for its successful delivery
- Managing budgets for artist production/fabrication and exhibitions and submit them for review by the Owner/Founder and the Managing Director
- Working with accountant to review and produce streamlined and clear artist accounts
- Communicating with each artist regularly, providing value-added “client service” for each artist
- Maximising opportunities for works to be consigned from artists for sale by the gallery, working in conjunction with Sales team
- Networking with museums and public institutions in UK and Europe to secure both exhibitions and sales for the artists in your charge, working on museum exhibitions which includes co-ordinating exhibition tours
- Actively promoting sales of artworks to museums and foundations
- Attending regular meetings with the gallery’s sales and marketing teams, communicating latest information on exhibition schedules and provide them with inventory update including new works available or consigned to other galleries by each artist
- Writing interpretive texts & press release on the artists in your charge and responsible for final editorial review on all other gallery’s press releases and published documents
- Helping artists to seek funding for major projects
- Communicate with operations team to make sure inventory database is updated with new works and ensuring new works are catalogued & photographed
- Responsible for ensuring that internal archive and catalogue raisonneìe of the artists in your charge are satisfactorily maintained
- Travelling when required, to represent the gallery at key events such as fairs and artist’s exhibition openings;
- Such other duties and responsibilities as shall from time to time be required of you.
Key skills/attributes include
- Project management skills
- Attention to detail, while seeing the ‘big picture’. Clearly meeting the objectives setout for each project.
- Business management skills: the ability to manage budgets, to prioritize projects, to organize and multi-task.
- People skills: good communication skills, the ability to negotiate and persuade others, confident presentational ability, outstanding networking skills
- Commitment to artists, while maintaining an understanding of the commercial aspect of the gallery
- Keen grasp of financial issues, and a good understanding of artists statements
- Proficient in IT and database skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Experience in a similar position in the field of contemporary art, with duties comparable in scope and responsibilities
- MA in at history or comparable art subjects
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of art history and the most recent developments in contemporary industry
- Additional languages are desirable