For our client, an established gallery for contemporary art, we are looking for a Cataloguer. The position of Cataloguer plays an important role in the gallery’s overall management of the digital and analogue database and preparation of artworks for exhibitions and sale. The cataloguer must ensure precise and accurate cataloguing, the consistent documentation of the work and that the pertinent information is gathered and added by the various gallery departments in a timely manner.
In order to complete the data entry for a work, the Cataloguer pro-actively interfaces as needed with various members of the gallery and their department: registrar, accounting, artist liaison, production, content, and graphics. The Cataloguer ensures that every department adds additional information to the digital and analogue description of the work: price, visuals, work description, work components included in purchase, installation notes/ technical specs, provenance, exhibition history, bibliography and any accompanying information such as manuals or fact sheets related to the work, location and availability.
- Methodical approach
- Excellent knowledge of contemporary artistic practices and the ability to understand the gallery artists’ works
- Strong attention to detail
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be timely in responding to requests
- Ability to be flexible, to use time wisely and to perform duties in a professional manner
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of German
- Knowledge of Artlogic database and CMS is a plus