Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Our client, a leading international art magazine, is seeking to recruit a Commercial Director to carry forward existing commercial strategy and help manage the commercial growth of the business.
This is an exceptional opportunity to oversee a well-respected title as it consolidates its current position and increases its activities to engage with new clients, stage events, produce supplements, grow the brand and circulation. The successful candidate will have achieved demonstrable commercial successes in previous roles, ideally in arts or other specialist publishing, and will have excellent contacts in the fine and contemporary art sectors.
The Commercial Director will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will work closely with the Editor and Chairman.
- To carry forward our existing commercial objectives and explore ways of generating new revenue streams in order to exceed the targets set in the budget, across both print and digital platforms.
- To continue to develop growth in revenues from contemporary art galleries.
- To develop and execute an effective strategy of new business initiatives to drive the company’s ambitious commercial growth.
- To work closely with the Editor to develop new supplements, events, digital products such as newsletters and other revenue-driving opportunities.
- To work to stringent targets and, overseeing a small team, to help drive performance and increase advertising, events and sponsorship revenues.
- To ensure that current revenue forecasts are monitored and accurately reflected in reports.
- To pro-actively seek out new opportunities to raise awareness of the magazine in both the art world and beyond.
- To manage existing art fair and museum media partnership arrangements and look to expand these, and create new partnerships that are beneficial to the business.
- To manage the financial performance of the magazine, including maintaining accurate monthly forecasts.
- To ensure that any variances to budget that arise can be explained, and to seek to recoup any shortfalls swiftly and effectively.
- In conjunction with the Editor and the COO, to produce the annual budget in a timely fashion, based on the magazine’s strategy.
- With the Editor and the COO, to set revenue targets and key performance indicators.
- Previous experience in a senior commercial role, ideally within an arts or specialist market.
- Contacts in the fine and commercial art sectors and the world of art business.
- Highly commercial, with an entrepreneurial approach to business development and a good understanding of the challenges facing the publishing industry.
- Experience in developing and maintaining key relationships at a senior level.
- Experience in effectively managing budgets including P&L, forecast and management reporting.
- Excellent negotiating skills and proven ability to maintain long-standing commercial relationships.
- Thorough understanding of digital platforms.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Highly organised with good team and management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of the art sector.
- Self-motivated and tenacious with a can-do attitude