An established, international contemporary gallery seeks a Communications Associate to join its communications department. The position is based in New York and reports to the Director of Communications. The ideal candidate will have considerable experience in public relations and marketing with good contacts in art and culture publications. Requirements include superior communication skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once, work collaboratively and efficiently, and manage and meet deadlines.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and pitch the press campaigns for digital initiatives (online viewing rooms, live streaming initiatives, podcast, etc.) to a wide range of top local, national, and international media, including print, online, television, and radio.
- Create and distribute press releases.
- Maintain press image kits for online initiatives.
- Liaise with museum press offices and PR agencies in regard to artists’ projects.
- Work with the gallery’s research team to review press releases for artists’ projects.
- Work closely with the photo team and rights and reproduction team on imagery for artists’ projects.
- Work closely with artists/artist studios/estates and staff on media inquiries as related to third-party exhibitions and projects.
- Inform staff and gallery artists of key published media placements in real time.
- Help field day-to-day media requests, in coordination with the communications department.
- BA or Masters degree in Art History or Communications preferred.
- Related experience in a gallery, PR agency, museum, or art institution.
- Past experience working with New York media and achieving coverage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, InDesign, and Photoshop.