A leading contemporary gallery in London is looking for a Senior Director of Operations to join their expanding team.
The Senior Director of Operations for the UK is responsible for leading all operations in the country, and all the technical, handling and facilities teams in the UK. In this role, you will be managing a wide team (10-20 people) and key development projects related to locations/facilities.
Main Tasks include but are not limited to:
Gallery Operational Activities
- Responsible for overall coordination of the UK locations in close collaboration with COO and Senior Directors
- Coordinate business schedules and operations ensuring efficient and smooth office operations
- Meet with contractors to negotiate potential savings and partnerships that will result in a positive outcome for the gallery
- In collaboration with Senior Directors oversee exhibition, event and art fair programming, purchasing and staffing
Projects and Administration
- Manage costs and ensure savings are a top priority
- In conjunction with the Finance Director, manage the budgeting/forecast process throughout the year
- Approve and sign invoices ensuring costs have been approved; ensuring all costs are within budget or have been communicated properly if an overrun has occurred
Art Handling and Registrars Teams
- Coaching and managing of all direct reports: Registrars and Handling Team, incl. performance reviews
- Manage and support proactively, including delegating responsibility to other staff members in charge and ensuring actions are completed in a satisfactory way and in good time.
- Oversee workload and processes and enhance workflow where appropriate in collaboration with COO
- Oversee shipping costs, freelancers etc. and manage costs control incl. budgets
- Organize and prepare weekly meetings with gallery staff and registrar/handling, take records or minutes if necessary and process these accordingly and monitor actions taken and decisions made.
- Project management of all gallery and office build projects, liaison with contractors, architects and landlords
- Responsible for day to day operations of the galleries, offsite venues, offices and warehouses including maintenance, utilities, security, etc.
- Responsible for liaison with the building management for the gallery and other gallery related premises.
- Responsible for Health & Safety including risk assessment, method statements, PAT testing and all training for staff on fire procedures
- Input on data collection requests for environmental management and contribute ideas towards environmental sustainability agenda
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Strong background and work experience in Operations, ideally within the art world
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong leader with the ability to drive a culture of high performance and achievement in the team and to meet deadlines
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
- Self-starter: ability to take responsibility for own areas of activity, to plan strategically with the Senior Leadership Team and to have a flexible, positive and collaborative outlook
- Organized with the ability to take a structured approach to own workload, prioritizing as appropriate
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to liaise with a range of stakeholders including staff
- Results orientated project management capabilities, 2+ years of project management experience
- Ensure effective Environmental Health and Safety including appropriate emergency preparedness, business continuity planning, and disaster recovery capabilities, including commitment to the gallery’s Environmental Sustainability goals
- Financially literate with experience of budget management
- High attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices
- Excels at operating in a fast pace environment
- Sound MS Office skills