Our client, a Contemporary Gallery with a growing exhibitions programme, is seeking an Exhibitions & Research Manager. This is a diverse role which will require the successful candidate to take ownership and responsibility for the implementation of presentations at the Fitzrovia space, at international art fairs and with external partners.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Gallery Director to build the careers of the artists represented by the gallery through networking and relationship building.
This position is well suited for a driven individual with experience working on ambitious projects in a small team, who is well organised and motivated to work in the arts. A curatorial background and experience working with institutions would be beneficial.
Working hours will be Tuesday – Friday, 10am – 6pm and Saturday 11am – 6pm, with occasional evening work as well.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing all gallery and external exhibitions, including coordinating installation and de-installation of exhibitions; sourcing materials; booking and liaising with contractors; art fair logistics; handling artworks and carrying out condition
- Providing ongoing research-led curatorial support to the director in all aspects of the gallery’s business, liaising with artists, working to develop and hone the gallery’s creative vision by preparing exhibition and art fair proposals, texts, and other
- Responsible for managing communications, including preparing social media visuals and captions; updating the website, and preparing email newsletters via Mailchimp.
- Responsible for managing all publication projects, including project managing gallery publications and working with partners on external publications.
- Writing, copyediting, and proofreading literature, including press releases, commissioned texts, and transcribed conversations for publication.
- Being a front facing member of the gallery team, including providing exhibition walkthroughs, representing the gallery at events, and art fairs; and introducing and hosting gallery
- Managing press campaigns for exhibitions and events, including maintaining relationships with writers and press
- Enthusiasm for regular national and international travel
- Providing support to artists’ studios.
Skills & experience:
- Exceptional organisation skills, and project management
- Ability to independently manage, prioritise, and appropriately delegate
- Great attention to detail
- Excellent command of the English language, including strong writing skills
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Artlogic, Microsoft Suite, and Google
- Strong social media experience
- Ability to be proactive and manage multiple projects at once
- Strong and clear communicator, able to work maturely within a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent knowledge of Contemporary Art
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment