Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Location: London, UK
A leading contemporary gallery in London is looking for an Exhibitions Technician to join their busy team.
- To work with the exhibitions team on the installation and production of allocated gallery exhibitions.
- To ensure exhibitions are installed on time and with best practice and in accordance with current Health & Safety procedures
- To advise and inform the Exhibitions department on technical and scheduling issues relating to installations
- To keep oneself updated and informed of best practice for a variety of installations
- To pack, handle and transport fine art in and out of gallery sites in line with standard procedures
- To implement and maintain consistent working methodologies
- To work with the full time Technical Department on complex technical issues and consult with them as required
- Responsible for the service, maintenance and stock levels of all gallery exhibition equipment
- Identifying, sourcing and ordering specialised equipment as required
- To undertake, organise or supervise the condition reporting of artworks, as instructed
- Write installation instructions, method statements or risk assessments when instructed
- Visit other institutions/external venues as instructed to research artworks relating to the show change
- To assist Exhibition Coordinators in the planning and installation of exhibitions
- Attend and instigate show change meetings as and when necessary in order to keep oneself informed and to keep relevant co-workers updated
- To act as a liaison with outside contractors, artists’ studios and Exhibitions Coordinators with regard to technical issues as required
- Place technical, show change and artwork jobs and shipments regarding the show change
- Liaise with Exhibitions Coordinators, warehouse manager and/ or registrars in relation to storage, collection and movement of works (occasionally with external storage companies as necessary)
- Update shipments on the inventory
- To manage Technical crew during planning of and implementation of a show change.
- Ensuring technical procedures and use of gallery database is strictly adhered to including by visiting staff and contractors
- Liaise with warehouse manager to make sure show change activities do not interrupt the day to day running of the warehouse
- Work with the Exhibitions Coordinators to keep accurate records of time worked by technicians with regards to the show changes
- On agreement, provide technical support and assistance on an ad hoc basis
Health and Safety
- Produce risk assessments and method statements for each installation
- To liaise with structural engineers, as necessary, to insure that all art works are installed safely
- To ensure technicians are aware of health and safety issues and work with due care and diligence at all times.
Previous Art Handling experience is essential.