Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Location: London, UK
One of the world’s leading commercial galleries for modern and contemporary art is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and energetic Web Developer to join their new Digital Product team. This is a rare chance to be at the heart of an industry leader’s digital transformation, in a fast-changing and creative field.
This position requires skills in building web-based applications using the latest back-end and front-end WordPress technologies. You must write clean, reusable code with strong emphasis on stability and performance.
In this position, you will partner with an internal project management lead and field directives from various internal departments to assess requirements and execute website developments on an ongoing basis. You will work closely with the Product Manager to transform complex business requirements into on-brand, design-driven, and highly workable improvements to the gallery’s public-facing websites. You must be organized, self-sufficient, and adaptable to the contemporary art industry’s rapidly evolving digital landscape.
What you’ll do:
- Participate in stakeholder discussions and collaborate with internal project manager (and external agencies) to transform business requirements into workable solutions on the gallery’s public facing websites.
- Work to help architect, develop, test and deploy new components & site features, primarily in a WordPress backend. Aid in determining and documenting technical project requirements.
- Provide technical advice and input to the scope of work including: Platform recommendations, server/hosting best practices, 3rd party plug-ins, and overall technical specifications for each project. Be able to justify dev costs (and limitations, if any) back to the business.
- Along with the internal project manager, take accountability for go live deadlines. This includes assisting PM with QA on our staging sites and taking the lead on dev revisions following stakeholder feedback.
- Collaborate with internal Marketing + Creative Teams to translate visual designs into responsive frontend code.
- Assist with the integration / onboarding of new technologies and applications.
- Provide long term solutions and short-term options for common website maintenance requests.
- Be comfortable with building out custom Shopify themes and modifying preexisting themes.
- Implement marketing pixels and case-specific tracking integrations.
- Be an advocate for best practice and in documenting / developing technical procedures for our internal teams.
- Work on multiple development projects simultaneously when required.
- Be available to vet and manage relationships with technical service providers, including web hosting providers and external developers.
Skills & Requirements:
- A working knowledge of WordPress CMS implementation and server-side programming languages including backend (js, specifically using Nuxt.js) and frontend (Vue.js, Nuxt, Nginx) is required.
- Solid knowledge of performance improvement and optimization best practices.
- A strong sense of how to create and manage easy to use WordPress backend environments for the website admins.
- Experience in Shopify development, including custom themes, modifications to existing elements, and a fundamental understanding of Shopify Liquid template language and its API / Application ecosystem is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge in data migration and synchronization between Shopify + WordPress instances.
- Understanding of web design, ecommerce solutions, development process, and third-party applications (integrations with warehouses/distribution, ERPs, POS systems, etc.) is preferred.
- Experienced with A/B testing, SEO and data-driven practices.
- Experienced with analytics tools such as Google Analytics, GTM.
- Experience or willingness to learn WCAG and ADA (Americans with Disabilities) accessibility best practices for web.
- Can work and stay well-organized between a variety of projects.
- Ability to work independently to solve technical problems, mitigate risk, make decisions, and communicate effectively under tight deadlines and challenging situations.
- Approach all projects with a positive attitude and a problem-solving perspective.