Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Depending on experience
We are looking for a professional and dedicated Registrar for a Gallery in Mayfair.
The right candidate will have a working knowledge of import & export formalities, bond and TA issues, and be capable of managing the shipment of stock to fairs and locations internationally.
The job will also involve day-today management of the gallery space along with all technical aspects of exhibitions at the gallery and internationally at fairs. Installation and handling of paintings will be a daily occurrence.
The ideal candidate will have some art historical academic background, or knowledge built up via working in the art world.
The position reports to the Director and Owners, working in a small team spread between galleries in London and Milan.
- Full responsibility for gallery operations and the shipment of stock and consignments to international locations
- Import and export formalities and paperwork including application for and administration of export licences
- Operating the temporary admissions account and administering bond formalities
- Overseeing installation of gallery exhibitions, art fairs and at collector’s homes
- Representing the gallery at art fairs, openings; client liaison as the necessity arises
- Technical management of participation at art fairs and set-up of stands
- Technical management of the gallery – lighting, storage, IT, organisation of private views and events
- Management of stock including organising photography, restoration, framing, archiving, updating database and managing stock files
- Management of technicians, gallery assistants and interns
- Proven experience in a similar role in a Gallery, Fine Art Shipping Company or Auction House
- Diligent attention to detail and a meticulous approach to data and archiving
- A second European language will be an advantage, though not a requirement
- An ability to multi-task and enthusiasm for general gallery business
- Flexibility and initiative to get involved with the gallery programme
- Confident and reliable hand with artworks