Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Location: South West London UK
On behalf of our client, a well established art gallery, we are looking for a Gallery Manager & Shipping specialist to join their small team.
The business runs from a custom fitted space which makes for a beautiful and functional working environment.
A varied, hands-on Gallery Management, Administrative and Shipping role within an art and collectables dealership, operating from a beautiful by-appointment gallery in London, but selling to a global audience via the online shop. This is a small team that needs a Gallery Manager who is willing to get involved in all aspects of the general administrative and post-sale side of the business. The ideal candidate will be someone with an eye for detail, will thrive in an autonomous role and will take pride in being an important part of the gallery team. They will have a nose for business, be efficient and have a proactive approach to solving problems.
This is a small business with a family feel. There are 4 full time staff and a part time book-keeper. The Gallery Manager will be responsible for the overall smooth running of the space in addition to his/her main responsibilities.
Inventory Management, Packing and shipping of objects:
- Inventory Management and stock control. The candidate will be solely responsible for keeping and updating records.
- Preparation for off site shows. Communicating with shipping companies, negotiating the best price whilst making sure items are delivered and travel through customs correctly.
- Overseeing and tracking shipments. Proactively monitoring incoming and outgoing shipments.
- Export license applications. Making sure forms are completed correctly and expeditiously.
- Packing and shipping of items, organising invitations and outgoing general mail.
- Completion of relevant shipping paperwork such as customs declarations and commercial invoices.
- Communication, mostly via email, with clients regarding order progression, dealing with queries.
- Looking after clients visiting the gallery, providing hospitality.
- Answering calls and redirecting as appropriate.
Assisting the directors and other members of the team:
- Supporting the team members with daily tasks and priorities
- Administrative support to the owner/directors.
- Assistance with travel arrangements.
- Managing and ordering supplies.
- Diary organisation.
- Responsibility for the organisation of the communal areas within the gallery, keeping them organised and functioning ( store rooms, kitchen etc) and all supplies in check.
- Understanding of basic shipping terms. Previous background in handling outgoing shipments for art/antiques is desirable.
- Strong organisational skills and proactive personality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent competence with Microsoft Word/Excel.
- Good work ethic and a quick learner.
Some non-essential skills that may be useful: