Our client, a contemporary gallery in London, is seeking a Senior Gallery Technician to join their busy team.
- To receive all works of art at the gallery.
- To condition check and report all works received.
- Noting provenance information where required and passing information to registrar.
- Ensuring all works are labelled.
- Coordinating the photography of all new works.
- Upholding standards of packing and storage of works of art, both in and outside the gallery.
- Offsite installations where necessary.
- Ensuring order and tidiness in offices and storage.
- Maintain packaging and technician supplies at the gallery.
- Obtaining quotes for framing and ensuring works are returned in a timely manner and framing specifications are recorded.
- Up keeping the high standard of care of the artworks.
- Liaising with artist managers regarding technical requirements for exhibitions.
- Managing all aspects of show changeovers.
- Keeping up dated records of exhibition equipment.
- Creating 3D plans for art fairs and exhibitions.
- Booking and managing freelance technicians.
- Maintaining Health and Safety standards in the gallery.
- General gallery maintenance, highlighting and dealing with any issues in a timely manner.
- Maintaining in a timely manner the digital and paper archive on the movements of all artworks.
- Obtaining monthly inventory lists from all storage companies used by the gallery (including international).
- Quarterly cross checking storage lists with internal database to ensure accuracy.
- Liaising with shippers in order to obtain estimates.
- Creating systems to track deadlines be it with consignments, insurance, or exhibitions.
- Overseeing art fair transportation, delivery and installation, preparation of shipping lists/customs paperwork.
- Attending regular meetings with colleagues in order to share information regarding current or upcoming shipments.
- Co-ordination of the local weekly shuttle, including establishing demand for works.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience of shipping processes
- Experience of art handling
- Basic knowledge of National and International art world
- Computer literate and database aware
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Active interest and knowledge in contemporary art world
- Experience of working in the commercial art market
- Creating 3D modeling
- Full-clean drivers licence
Essential Personal Qualities
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong self-motivation and ability to manage own time effectively with minimum supervision
- Resourceful, with the ability to respond positively to challenges and changes
- Desire to learn and develop new skills and knowledge
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Commitment to the aims and visions of the Gallery