An established London Auction House is looking for a Head of Sale/Specialist; Prints & Multiples.
The job role is as follows:
To take a leading role in the development and formation of the tri-annual Prints & Multiples auctions; working closely with the other picture departments and general valuations team to drive the sales whilst engaging new and existing buyers and consignors.
- Responsible for securing consignments and selling sales for the Prints & Multiples department
- Actively manage client relationships in order to enhance client loyalty and generate business; support key client activity in particular focusing on generating new networks of clients/collectors
- Active participation with the Prints community – attendance at social and art world events e.g. gallery and museum openings; increasing the network of contacts and relationships within this market
- Prepare and deliver valuation proposals to secure consignments, providing valuations both offsite and within the auction house
- Research and write catalogue entries
- Lead the catalogue production process and adhere to strict production deadlines
- Assist with exhibition set up. Actively participate in all presale exhibitions and events, to cultivate bidders, promote and sell the sale. Develop, track and communicate client interest in lots; and execute bids at sale
- Assist with condition reports
- Work with all department specialists to sell the sale by helping clients at the exhibition; speaking to clients about the property;
- Perform valuations for auction, probate and insurance in association with the Professional Services Department
- Mentor the junior members of the department, providing support and guidance on matters related to expertise and client relationships
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 6 years working with the field of Prints & Multiples, auction house experience preferred but not essential
- General knowledge about a broad range of Modern & Contemporary Prints & Multiples artist with values ranging from £200 – £200,000
- Proven track record at generating business from both private and trade sources
- Ability to maintain composure in a stressful environment and meet deadlines
- Driven with a positive and can-do attitude
- An all-round team player who is happy to contribute to assist and enable the success of the other picture departments
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Full or part time position will be considered. A specialist with less experience may also be considered to work towards head of sale.