Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Contract
Pay: Negotiable based on experience
Location: London, UK
We are looking for a Junior Specialist in Furniture and Decorative Arts to join a leading international auction house for an initial fixed term of 1 year. The role will involve working with senior specialists with cataloguing, research and the co-ordination of sales for the furniture and Decorative Arts department. You will work closely with the senior specialists to source property for sale and to liaise with clients whilst providing assistance towards the general day to-day functioning of the department.
The role is varied and includes:
- Cataloguing and researching items for Furniture Sales
- Assisting the senior members of the department with the research and cataloguing of objects to the highest standard according to scheduled deadlines
- Corresponding with external experts
- Involvement in all aspects of catalogue production including:
- Ensuring that all photography for catalogues is completed in a timely manner.
- Dealing with day-to-day client enquiries at the counter, by email and on the telephone including valuations and estimate requests.
- Writing condition reports and responding to photo forms, estimate enquiries and general correspondence
- Helping to maintain departmental archives
- Organising, together with department administrator, the location and movement of property within the department.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in History of Art with general knowledge of periods and styles. You will have an interest in developing a career in the Decorative Arts
Fluency in spoken and written German and French would be beneficial.