Our client, a busy individual with an active social life and dynamic business, is seeking a PA. Highly regarded in the art world, he exhibits and sells museum-quality works of art at some of the world’s most prestigious art fairs. This role is to work for him, not the art business.
The employer and partner lead a busy social life (often crossing over with work), which requires acute attention to detail, including exemplary knowledge of the correct form of address both in person and in writing, alongside careful correspondence with friends and contacts. The utmost discretion is expected regarding business, personal and clients’ affairs.
An active member on numerous museum boards and collector groups, as well as an adviser and expert in his field, the employer has a demanding schedule which creates a vast amount of paperwork and communication. This requires careful management and support from a highly organised and responsible PA. The employer requires the successful candidate to anticipate rather than react to his requirements.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assist with family and personal matters including, personal correspondence, emails, filing, invitations, travel arrangements and household paperwork.
There are two full-time domestic staff who run the house in London and the same in the country, whilst some matters concerning the house in the country are managed through London.
- Monitoring, recording & filing correspondence with family matters, HMRC, lawyers, financial advisers etc. as requested. This may include preparation of draft correspondence.
- Maintain research library, paperwork, and archives on various topics, cataloguing both private and business correspondence.
- Manage email correspondence. This includes monitoring the inbox, answering on behalf of the employer subject to draft, keeping a check list of all unanswered emails and ensuring the employer is kept informed, prepared, and reminded.
- Liaise with the Gallery Operations Manager to assist with activities associated with the employer’s private art collection, its records and insurance. This includes maintaining records, arranging, and maintaining insurance, liaising with sellers and purchasers, including auction houses, arranging payments, transportation etc.
- Fielding/handling enquiries as necessary.
- Keeping the employer up to date on matters arising, ensuring they are informed of meetings, impending deadlines and supplied with relevant paperwork.
- Managing and updating contact list and databases including keeping ahead of IT issues.
- Maintaining the calendar to ensure up to date with all appointments, travel, and social engagements.
- Arranging social events, including invitation lists, RSVP contact, flowers, caterers etc.
- General day-to-day point of contact, opening the post.
- Helping Directors and the company with any task, as required.
Monitor, remind & file
- Payment of Bills
- Credit Card reconciliation
- Liaising with Finance Manager and Accountants
- Monitoring and ordering supplies for properties in London and the country
- Liaising with long-term household staff as required
- Organise endless Christmas, birthday and client gifts
- Coordinate technical support
- Making social arrangements
- Travel bookings/ hotel reservations – employer very specific so this is exercising his choices rather than selecting on his behalf
- 5 years plus experience as a PA/ EA, perhaps in the art world
- Used to working across business and household contexts
- Able to communicate with employers contacts at all levels internally and externally
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent IT skills – word, excel, databases
- Highly numerate
- Good driving experience is desirable
- Supportive part of the team, organised and responsible
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 10.30am to 6.30pm and weekends by arrangement with days off in lieu during the week.