A Contemporary artist’s studio in East London is looking for a full-time Registrar to join the team. Working under the supervision of the Studio Manager, the role will be responsible for the overall care and maintenance of the inventory and efficient coordination of local and international shipments of paintings and sculpture in a range of materials and of various scales.
The successful candidate will join a very dedicated and diligent team working through a busy yearly schedule of exhibitions, fabrication projects, and complex productions. It is a positive environment where you’ll work alongside the artist, his creative design team, and a team of artist and production assistants, offering the opportunity to play an integral role in the studio’s fast-moving operations. The role requires a good deal of mental agility to accommodate changes in scheduling and sometimes tight deadlines.
- Ensuring the studio’s Artlogic database is kept updated of all artwork movements and changes in position
- Tracking consignment agreements to see that dates are adhered to
- Liaising with an international network of shipping agents to run shipments from the sourcing of estimates through to delivery
- Liaising with local courier and fine art services on city-wide movements and transfers between studio locations
- Ensuring clear shipment deadlines are communicated in advance with relevant parties (studio production team, third party fabricators, gallery partners, storage partners etc)
- Ensuring that all customs documentation is filed correctly
- Keeping track of yearly movements and storage locations for insurance purposes
- Undertaking condition reports as required and reviewing third party condition reports
- Occasional assistance overseeing local installations and advising on the handling of artworks for off-site installations
- Previous experience as an art registrar at a gallery, studio, institution or Fine Art Shipping Company
- Good understanding of import/export and tax implications
- Solid understanding of best practices in the packing, handling, and storage of artworks in various mediums
- Relevant degree in the field and interest in the operations of a contemporary artist’s studio