Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: Dependent on experience
Location: Hong Kong Far and Middle East, Hong Kong
An international gallery, with a space in Hong Kong, is looking for a Sales Director to join their team.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Asia; the Director is responsible for developing new sales strategies; cultivating relationships with prospects and clients and, meeting revenue targets.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Attend local gallery and museum exhibitions to increase visibility in the art world;
- Cultivate new types of collectors who have not previously thought of the gallery as a “go-to place” for them;
- Increase the number of visits to view collections in client homes;
- Get traction with curators by establishing a common area of intellectual interest;
- Work closely with the Marketing Director to use communications and events (email campaigns, dinners, openings, special events at art fairs, etc.) to target client segments and increase conversion;
- Develop a deeper understanding of competitors and pricing;
- Convert first-time clients into repeat clients;
- Inform clients of news and information related to the artists they collect;
- Generate sales of an agreed target
- Use Artnet and other tools to find sales comps and make sales offers;
- Analyze profitability and volume by client segment and by artist to focus sales strategy;
- Maintain an affiliate network of advisors to generate referral income;
- Present work at Art Fairs;
- Offer storage, crating and shipping options to pass along some costs to clients.
- Secure approval from artists to share discounts offered to clients.
- Clear oral and written communication skills in English and Chinese
- Passionate about the art world
- Inspires teamwork and cooperation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solving
- Consistency and reliability
- Models a professional way of working
- Detail-oriented and capable of prioritizing and executing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
BA and/or MA in Art History with a focus on twentieth century to contemporary art. Considerable high-level sales experience in a gallery or auction house. Computer skills: MS Office Suite, ArtBase.
Must be available for gallery installations, openings and other events as needed, which may take place over weekends or fall outside normal gallery hours, and may include travel.