Our client, a leading international gallery, is looking for a Senior Accountant / Finance Manager to join the team in London. As Finance Manager for a leading international gallery you will lead finance for the London and Europe galleries, you will be primarily responsible for owning and maintaining the proper books and records for the regions. Based in London, this role requires you to be an exemplary communicator and proactively co-ordinate across sites.
Your primary responsibilities will include the execution and managing of all accounting functions including month-end close procedures. You will be required to maintain well-documented accounting records and help create processes to enhance internal controls and processes. You will review final financial reports, reconciliations, and analysis’, including the need to understand & ability to explain month on month movements to the local team and Global CFO, as well as the ability to explain results vs. the budget to local team.
Working directly with all global dealer offices, you will be the main point of contact advising on all VAT, Brexit and regulatory implication questions, review sales transactions in detail ensuring the correct tax, advances and rebills are applied, prepare invoices & monitor collections. You will work closely with the NY Sales Accounting team to coordinate payments to artists and consignors. You will review all VAT and regulatory returns and file with local authorities.
You will also direct and oversee the work of the accountant, ensuring clear, accurate and timely completion of tasks. You will promote a collaborative work ethic across all departments with finance and becoming an integral part of the local team.
You will be responsible for managing the local audit and will be the day-to-day contact
Working together with the Operations Director your additional finance responsibilities include participation and assistance in the preparation of the annual budget and related reporting, answering any finance related ad hoc queries, cash management, tracking all cash spend and developing projections.
Primary Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Primary liaison with dealer group available for answering questions, VAT calculation etc
- Investigate and resolve any issues with art purchases, artist reimbursable costs and production costs
- Cash management reporting by tracking and reporting on all cash receipts and payments on a weekly basis and updating cash projections
- Line managing the accountant
- Oversee the timely and accurate monthly closings, including final review of fluctuations and reconciliations
- Produce monthly reporting and analysis for financial closings, management reporting and artist accounting
- Maintain and report on retail and import VAT for monthly reconciliations and quarterly returns and income taxes
- Monitor and report on all ARR. Prepare, submit and pay DACS as required
- Actively participate and coordinate external financial audits and tax returns
- Partner with Gallery management and operations, as needed
- Qualified Accountant (CIMA, ACA)
- A number of years accounting experience, preferably in a gallery, auction house or similar industry
- Knowledge of VAT, BREXIT and other regulatory impacts over United Kingdom and European sales required
- Experience with multi-currency transactions
- Proactive, disciplined, and equally comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- High level of integrity, attention to detail and confidentiality as will be handling sensitive information
- Excellent computer skills including ERP software package (Microsoft Dynamics GP), Advanced Excel skills, Word, and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Personable with the ability to simultaneously manage & timely complete a variety of tasks and roles