Our client, a contemporary art gallery in London, is seeking a Senior Finance Manager. This is a permanent role to start as soon as possible.
Hours: 9 am – 6 pm / 10 am – 7 pm, Monday – Friday (Remote Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday).
Attendance of private views and gallery events is required by all staff.
Since its inception our client has build a business committed to the identiﬁcation and championing of unique and distinctive artistic talent from across the globe. The gallery’s ambition is to enact change in the industry: increasing accessibility to the art world and engaging new audiences to expand the reach and impact of contemporary art on broader culture.
As an artist-led space, the DNA of the company is fundamentally creative. The business has an ideas-driven culture and prides itself on being able to think outside the box and go against the grain of tradition. Great ideas often come from unexpected places, so all members of the team are encouraged to think about and contribute to the wider vision, even if it’s not part of their role. The team are a collaborative and treat each other with humility and respect. Everyone is ambitious, driven and passionate about the mission: realising a future society that understands contemporary art, and celebrates the talents and contributions of artists from all backgrounds and practices.
All members of staff are expected to:
- Be positive ambassadors for the business and champion the brand and ethos
- Maintain a high level of professionalism at all times when in or out of the gallery
- Greet and be courteous & informative to all visitors when in the gallery spaces
- Answer phones; taking and passing on messages to the relevant member of staff
- Take it upon themselves to ensure that the gallery space is immaculate and free of obstruction
The Senior Finance Manager manages the ﬁnances of the business. They are an integral part of the senior management team.
- Ensuring the provision of ﬁnancial data and advice to the Company for use in the organisation and development of our business.
- Formulating strategic and long-term business plans.
- Carry out month end duties including but not limited to departmental cost summaries, variance analysis and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Company-wide forecasting for the month and year ahead.
- Assist with the development of Salesforce and it’s integration with the ﬁnance function including monthly reconciliation between Xero and Salesforce and ensuring correct VAT is charged on individual sales.
- Preparation of information for third party accountants.
- Prepare monthly sales commission reporting for the Sales team and Director review.
- Oversee and manage third party reporting (artists and non-artists) ensuring all parties paid in a timely manner.
- Review any secondary market artist royalties that may be payable in line with legislation and company policy.
- Working closely with all departments to ensure smooth operations within each company.
- Ensuring full company compliance with latest legislation including AML5 directive.
- Ensuring all company policies are up-to-date and day-to-day operations are carried out in accordance with such policies.
- Renewing internal/external staff contracts where necessary.
- Manage and monitor Bright HR for all new starters and leavers.
- Managing bookkeeping staff and ensuring the accurate collection of data.
- Monitoring accounts payable and account receivable process (carried out by book-keeping staff) ensuring timely payments and receipts.
- Monitoring stock levels and working closely with the Logistics team to ensure all purchases are retrieved to the gallery / storage facilities in the UK.
- Reconciling Intercompany balances and arranging recharges on a periodic basis.
- Performing budgeting and cost-beneﬁt analysis to sustain Company operations.
- Reviewing quarterly VAT returns and providing external accountants with any information they may require.
- Developing external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. landlords, auditors, solicitors, bankers and statutory organisations such as the Inland Revenue.
- Any ad-hoc duties that may be required from the Directors or other departments.
- Any ad-hoc duties that may be required from external stakeholders including HMRC – providing import certiﬁcates to claim back import tax, money laundering requests and Gateway management.
Key Skills and Qualities required:
- A qualiﬁed accountant (or part-qualiﬁed) with a good knowledge of Xero, and previous experience of producing management accounts.
- A good communicator who can converse and interact with a wide range of people and get their point across in a simple manner.
- Able to reconcile balance sheet and proﬁt and loss accounts, whilst following, implementing and improving accounting processes.
- A hard-working, fast thinker who is able to adapt in fast paced environments and always willing to assist.
- Art Gallery experience a signiﬁcant advantage.
- Xero experience.
- Knowledge of cross-country VAT on the sale of goods and services.
- Salesforce experience.
- Enhanced VAT knowledge of schemes such as Margin Scheme and Temporary Admission.
- Knowledge of import/exports and customs procedures.