Contract Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Pay: £20 - 25k
Location: London London, UK
Fine Art Technician sought for a well respected, international contemporary gallery in London.
Conscientious, resourceful and energetic you will assist the Head Technician with the careful handling of artwork and the installation of gallery and art fair presentations to deadline. You will take responsibility for the regular condition checking of all artwork, liaising with external contractors and maintaining clear and accurate records at all times.
Good communication and a professional, pro-active attitude are imperative as the role is critical in maintaining excellent relationships with gallery artists, clients and institutional personnel. Industry experience is preferable.
-The role reports directly to the Head Technician
-There are no direct management responsibilities
-The gallery offers pension and private medical insurance plus other benefits
-Working hours are 10am – 6pm Monday – Friday plus extra hours during installations
-20 days paid holiday per annum
- To ensure exhibitions and client viewings are installed on time, with best practice and in accordance with current Health & Safety procedures.
- To assist the Head Technician and Exhibitions Team in the planning and installation of exhibitions, attending relevant meetings.
- To pack, handle and transport fine art in line with standard procedures.
- To oversee the service, maintenance and stock levels of all exhibition equipment.
- To identify, source and order (often specialised) equipment as instructed.
- To write installation instructions, method statements or risk assessments where necessary and prepare works for loan and consignment.
- To build a specialist understanding of the specific needs and requirements of each artist, liaising with the studio where necessary.
- To deliver and collect works to various locations around London.
- To regularly maintain gallery space, ensuring it is presented immaculately.
Experience & Skills
- At least 1 years full time experience in the industry
- Substantial knowledge of a variety of artwork and their correct handling methods
- Knowledge of and strict adherence to current Health & Safety procedures
- IT Skills including Articheck, Photoshop, Sketchup & InDesign
- Knowledge of model making and basic woodworking skills desirable
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritise and work independently.