Our client is looking for a Full Time Sales and Gallery Assistant to join a small and friendly team. The role would be well-suited for someone with a passion for history and art who is keen to develop their knowledge within this fascinating area of antiques and cartography. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, be highly productive and will support the whole team with enthusiasm, care, and attention.
The client is the world’s oldest and largest antique map specialists, with an extensive collection of over 20,000 original antique and vintage maps, topographical and decorative engravings, globes, and scientific instruments. Founded in 1907, they have an established reputation selling maps and prints to a large international client base, in store and online.
- Welcoming customers and visitor to the gallery, answering inquiries and providing information about maps and prints in the collection
- Generating sales in the gallery and online, and facilitating any post-sale services required including packing, shipping, storage, and framing
- Making sure the gallery is well presented, and working with colleagues to maintain a safe and comfortable environment
- Helping the Directors and Gallery Manager with day-to-day gallery administration, and ad hoc tasks
- Assist with uploading inventory to the database and website, and making sure that material is correctly labelled and put away
- Assist during internal and external events and exhibitions and helping with any collaborators and contractors
- Making sure address books are kept up to date, managing any client appointments on the calendar and ensuring any client arrangements are communicated to the team
- There will also be an opportunity to manage our social media platforms and contribute featured articles to the blog
- Experience in a customer facing role. Confident and able to deal with customers in person, online and over the phone
- Knowledge of history or art history
- Excellent working knowledge of Outlook, MS Office and comfortable using mainstream office software
- Enthusiastic team player with a keen eye for detail
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, especially during busier trading periods
- Experience handling antiques or printed materials and art packing
- Experience of Adobe Design Software, particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience using Artlogic CMS and database platforms
- Experience preparing and posting on social media (primarily Instagram).