We are looking to recruit a Senior Specialist for a long established auction house with international reach. This exciting, full-time position will lead the London jewellery sales, driving forward the bi-annual premium ‘Select Jewellery’ auctions and valuations services to customers in London and the South.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the jewellery department in London, primarily focusing on goods-getting, valuing and cataloguing items for two annual London ‘Select Jewellery’ auctions, aiming to grow them in terms of quality and value over time. You will work as part of the wider jewellery department, assisting the team where appropriate and also working alongside the marketing and business development teams to assist with the growth and development of the department’s profile. You will develop client relationships and grow our database in London and the South.
Essential job functions:
- Proactive sourcing of goods for sale, with an emphasis on private consignments.
- Carry out valuations for sale and also probate and insurance purposes.
- Catalogue and research items for auction and prepare condition reports.
- Responsible for the development and growth of London sales in terms of both quantity and quality of items sold, aiming to be amongst the best in the market.
- Responsible for achieving contribution targets for your sales and actively trying to increase contributions, through a combination of market share expansion and controlling sale related costs.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the catalogue production process, including cataloguing, photography, essays/footnotes, lotting, layout and editing to proofed to company standards, ensuring everything is carried out and catalogues are produced and online to established company deadlines.
- Responsible for ensuring sale previews are laid out on time to company standards and that views are staffed by active specialists for client engagement.
- Coordinating with the marketing department to promote sales, goods getting and to develop new initiatives.
- Responsible for selling of the sale, including proactively identifying and contacting potential buyers for top lots.
- Carrying out post-sale analysis and making decisions about the market, client contact etc. post-sale and ensuring actions taken accordingly.
- Analysing vendor and buyer activities and assisting in developing sales strategies with the head of department.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of top vendors and buyers, having a monitored list of top clients and engaging with them regularly.
- Proactively thinking of ways to expand your sale category.
- Proactively organising and attending business development activities, including events, talks, valuation days, private views, dinners, etc.
Having a degree of delegation and management within the sales process, where practical and appropriate.
Additional job functions:
- Assisting with general sale-day duties such as phone bidding, console clerking etc
- Previous related work experience, preferably in an auction house.
- FGA, DGA or similar qualification.