One of the longest established fine art auction houses in the UK, have an opening for an experienced Picture Valuer to join their team. The role is to work within the picture department, primarily working to provide effective valuation and advice services relating to Old Master, British and European Art.
Taking account of commercial fashions, trends, and hammer prices the Valuer will ensure information provided is fair and achievable. You will also respond to electronic valuation requests within a timely manner and partake in valuation events, including those in alternative locations. The Valuer will also provide valuations for insurance and probate.
Maintain a commercial view of the business, support the department head with the development of business leads and consignments to aid department growth, increase average hammer prices and turnover.
Liaise with clients and foster effective relationships to enhance the business. Provide first line contact to clients wishing to consign items and ensure they are kept up to date with developments. Refer items to department specialists and take advice where appropriate.
Lead the sale process for Old Master, British and European Art, ensuring items are researched, consigned, catalogued, condition reported and lotted, ready for export within set timeframes. Support the successful development of the department and in the operations relating to the presentation of sales.
Work effectively as part of a team, assist in the planning and development of auctions to ensure success, inputting ideas for presentation of items for sale. Provide materials for social media campaigns, writing blogs and internet content to enhance online visibility. Assist in the set up and presentation of sales within the auction rooms and take part in preview days and events.
Actively show support for the business at events and incentives, taking part where availability allows. Lead by example and have a proactive approach to development and change.
- Provide picture valuation services to clients, ensuring confidence in the companies valuation services to foster effective relationships
- Provide front of house picture valuations to clients
- Take part in valuation events
- Undertake visits to client properties for the purpose of valuation for sale, probate or insurance
- Keep up to date with recent fashions, trends and auction prices to ensure the information provided is fair and achievable
- Refer items to specialist departments for appraisal, where appropriate
- Liaise with administration teams in relation to client business, as required
- Ensure information is obtained from clients to comply with AML requirements
- Respond to email valuation requests without undue delay
- Catalogue items consigned for auction, undertaking any research necessary, provide accurate condition reports and ensure compliance with in house style
- Build effective and sustainable relationships with clients for long term engagement. Maintain a commercial view of the business, supporting the department to aid department growth.
- Provide first line response and contact for clients wishing to consign items for sale
- Foster effective relationships with agents and business getters to secure items for forthcoming auctions
- Effectively manage client relationships, providing point of contact to manage enquiries
- Maintain a commercial view of the business
- Support the department head with the development of business leads and consignments
- Refer items to other specialist departments where appropriate and take advice as necessary
- Deal with any issues as they arise to ensure sustainable relationships and prevent escalation of complaints
- Ensure client contact information is accurately recorded
- Have the ability to lead the sale process, ensuring items are consigned, catalogued, condition reported and lotted, ready for export within set timeframes. Support the successful development of the department and in the operations relating to the presentation of sales.
- Lead the process for Old Master, British and European Art sale development, including consignment, cataloguing, condition reporting and presentation of pictures for auction
- Develop leads to aid business getting and secure consignments
- Comply with policies relating to items accepted for auction and thresholds
- Work to increase average lot values, raise hammer prices, resulting in increased profit margins
- Support the team with lotting sales and work independently, if necessary, to ensure sales are ready for export onto websites within set timeframe, liaising with the administration team where appropriate
- Ensure sale items are well presented to potential buyers including print or online catalogues and sale listings
- Work effectively as part of a team, supporting colleagues in the development and presentation of successful picture auctions
- Support the logistical arrangements relating to items consigned for auction specifically for their storage or photography needs
- Undertake research and provide content for social media campaigns, blogs and internet content to reach a wide audience and increase online traffic
- A good working knowledge of Old Master, British and European Paintings
- A number of years experience of working in an auction house, or similar valuation service
- Knowledge and understanding of the art markets with valuation and cataloguing experience
- Experience of building effective relationships with external partners
- Flexibility to take on additional tasks/responsibilities
- The ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- A good team player
- Enthusiastic with a willingness to learn
- A positive attitude to change and development
- Client focused with a drive to deliver excellent customer service
- Self-motivated with the confidence to work on their own initiative without the need for direction
- Excellent organisational skills
- Process driven
- Confidence in talking with the public
- Driving licence and vehicle